WE'RE MOVING! Beginning Monday, April 30, we're moving to maconloveblog.blogspot.com. Everything will be the same, just at a new address. We'll have a link on the new site back to this one in case you ever want to read our previous posts.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

It's not free will, it's science!

Don't be too sad if that guy or girl at the bar snubbed your hot pick-up line. Maybe you just weren't scientifically compatible.

This morning I stumbled across an interesting article from the BBC about attraction. It says that there are scientific reasons why we are attracted to the people we are, and who we marry may be less about fate and more about genetics.

Men, the article says, look for symmetry in a woman. They also look for an hourglass figure, with -- get this -- a waist-to-hip ratio of 0.7. This apparently indicates fertility. For women, symmetry is not so important, but they look for men who are able to offer food and protection, which can be indicated by a man's rank and status in society. Both men and women look for partners like their parents.

I don't really know what to think about all this, but if it's science, then I suppose it's true. It certainly makes me want to go home and measure my waist-to-hip ratio, though, just to see if I fit into the range.

What do you think? Is all this really science or just a bunch of baloney?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I know is that I am compatible with the young scientist in the picture...

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you don't even know her waist-to-hip ratio! LOL.

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard also, we are attrached to another person by their smell. And that we don't like our parents/siblings smell because it is natures way of keeping the gene pool going...guess it goes back to prehistoric days or something. But I do find myself loving to sniff my husbands pillow when he gets up before me. In fact, I'll end up on his pilow!

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As kids growing up, we had cedar planks underneath the foundation of our home. Point being, my clothes and my scent were simply irresitible.

12:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most of my ex-boyfriends have a few things in common- they are 6' or taller, white guys with blond hair and light colored eyes. My dad is 5'9", Hispanic, olive skin tone, with black hair and dark eyes. While this may seem to contradict the study's findings, let me tell you about my fiance. He is 5'9", olive skin tone, with black hair and dark eyes! He and my dad are even about the same weight... And as for what anon #2 said about sniffing her pillow, when my fiance gets up before me, I usually wind up going back to sleep hugging his pillow. So I guess I like the way he smells, too.

12:49 PM  
Blogger BeckiLG said...

Just how does one measure the waist to hip ratio? I'm good at math but apparently too tired to figure that out right now.

1:36 AM  
Blogger BeckiLG said...

I should read articles before I comment.

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home