WE'RE MOVING! Beginning Monday, April 30, we're moving to maconloveblog.blogspot.com. Everything will be the same, just at a new address. We'll have a link on the new site back to this one in case you ever want to read our previous posts.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The hook-up culture

There's a new book by Laura Sessions Stepp entitled "Unhooked: How Young Women Pursue Sex, Delay Love and Lose at Both" that's been getting a lot of comments in the press.

The book is about how young women in their 20s pursue hooking up (read "hook up" here to mean casual sex), and in doing so, damage their self-esteem and make it hard to fall in love. The book is controversial because some believe that it's right on target and speaks of serious problems in today's generation of women.

A recent article about the book can be found here.

I haven't read the book, but from reading the article, I can already tell you that it makes sweeping generalizations about my generation. I was never involved in the so-called hook-up culture, and neither were most of my friends. However, I am aware that many of my peers do participate in that culture, and maybe this book rings true of them.

Do you think that casual sex is more prevalent today than before? Do you think having casual sex does damage to a woman's self-esteem and emotional well being?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't really think that more people are hooking up than in the past. I just think it is being discussed more. However, I too am a member of this generation, and I don't think that casual sex is occuring as often as this author or various other media outlets would have you believe.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the guys want to know where these "Unhooked" women hang out . . . but it sounds like they don't live in Macon :(

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home