WE'RE MOVING! Beginning Monday, April 30, we're moving to maconloveblog.blogspot.com. Everything will be the same, just at a new address. We'll have a link on the new site back to this one in case you ever want to read our previous posts.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Everything you need to know about men in 184 pages

Sometimes I wish men came with instructions -- how to turn them on, how to turn them off, how to keep them clean.

A new book touting itself as "the complete user's guide for women" claims to do just that. In "Men, Love & Sex," author David Zinczenko, shares everything he's learned about men as editor-in-chief of Men's Health magazine.

Over the weekend, I had the pleasure of spending two hours in Barnes & Noble waiting for two new tires to be put on my car. I stumbled across the book on the new releases table, and after initially writing it off, I picked it up thinking it would be a good topic for the blog.

The book bases its claims about men on a poll with 5,000 male respondents, seemingly giving women insight into the male mind. It tells women when and if they should say the L-word, hot nothings to whisper your man's ear and explains why men put more effort into their work life than their home life.

To be honest, I only read a solid 22 pages before I got bored. From there, I skipped and skimmed through chapters until I had enough. The book reads like an article out of Cosmopolitan (whose editors, by the way, endorsed the book) and includes examples of real life men. But my main problem was that I really don't care what Jason, a 32-year-old physician's assistant thinks. I care what my man thinks. And he's not in the book. Every man is different and to generalize, well, it seems pretty much pointless.

I don't think any amount of reading up on men (or women) will help you understand the opposite sex. If you actually get to know the person you're interested in, and listen when he or she talks, then you should be fine. Sure, men's minds can be confusing, but I know women's aren't as clear as a crystal ball either. And while I may wish men came with instructions, sometimes figuring out the mystery on my own is part of the fun.

How helpful have you found dating/love books? Do you actually learn anything about the opposite sex? Do you apply what you read to your actual love life?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not necessarily for a relationship but for getting over one: "He's Just Not that Into You" the abridged verison.

It has tastey, bite-sized morsels from the full version (which I heard was also really good) that helped me put a lot about my last relationship into perspective.

Between this book and my friends, this helped me get over my last relationship and made be believe I could find something better.

But, just a warning, it might cause you to raise the bar too high... and it doesn't exactly tell you how to go about getting someone who's just that into you.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think any book should be used to find the problems in a relationship. There is not book out there that is tailored to your relationship because the books are written as a blanketed statement for the general public.

The best bet to figure out what is going on in your relationship is to go straight to the source, or you significant other.

Otherwise, the books may cause unneccessary panic.

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When did Barnes & Nobel start putting tires on people's cars?

1:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

=P Barnes & Noble was down the street and within walking distance from the tire place, lucky me.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home