WE'RE MOVING! Beginning Monday, April 30, we're moving to maconloveblog.blogspot.com. Everything will be the same, just at a new address. We'll have a link on the new site back to this one in case you ever want to read our previous posts.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Grin and bear it

I've been getting lots of e-mails recently from my friends asking me to send out lists regarding what I'd like for my birthday and Christmas (both are in December), and it got me thinking about the gift-giving season. (Who cares that we haven't even hit Halloween?)

It's the easiest thing to do — send out lists of things you want, and happily, you get almost all that you asked! And with friends, it is the best way to go. They don't have to go crazy thinking of a gift, and vice versa, and it helps keep the spending to a minimum.

But it's different with your boyfriend. Most girls I know, instead of telling their BFs what they want, like to see what he can come up with...it's the one time he has no choice but to surprise us.

And yet, sometimes, being surprised can backfire.

Personally, I have never been disappointed with my boyfriend. Mainly because he thinks of things he would want to get, and then in turn, gets them for me. Last year, it resulted in a kick-ass digital camera that I still get compliments on. The year before? A top-notch DVD player complete with surround sound speakers.

I know, I am a lucky girl. And never once, did I have to give him a list or tell him what I wanted, he just knew to get me things I would like, or things I would never buy myself but would thoroughly enjoy.

But I am sure there are some horror stories out there (like the time my size-small friend received a horrific patterned, size XL sweater from her BF and made him swear he would never buy her clothers again). We want to hear the less-than-wonderful gifts you have received...and we also want to hear how you handled it. Did you grin and bear it? Return it? Or lock yourself in the bathroom crying that your BF or GF doesn't know you at all?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roxy, I am so glad you posted this because I have a hilarious story that I heard from one of my sister's friends. When this girl's birthday came around, her boyfriend got her a $15.99 Tetra Fish Tank from Wal-Mart. At first glance, it doesn't sound so bad. What a great present for her fish! Except she doesn't have any fish! And her boyfriend didn't get her any with the fish tank. So now she just has an empty fish tank. I think that's the worst gift I've heard of getting!

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roxy, I am blessed with an awesome boyfriend as well! My boyfriend is great about gifts. He will either ask me for a list of what I want, or he will take me to the mall. He will pay attention to what I am looking at, and what I really like, and then go back later and get something that he now knows I like. He knows what size clothes I wear, along with what styles and brands I like, so I never have any problems.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home