WE'RE MOVING! Beginning Monday, April 30, we're moving to maconloveblog.blogspot.com. Everything will be the same, just at a new address. We'll have a link on the new site back to this one in case you ever want to read our previous posts.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I'm sorry, I have to wash my hair

The other day my friend called me to say that a guy at work asked her out.

"Awesome! That's great!" I said.

"No, no it's not," she replied.

My friend, in her early 20s, had been propositioned by a guy too old for her liking.

"If I said he was in his 40s, that would be generous," she said.

So what did she do? She blurted out the first thing that came to her mind: "I just started dating someone."

A total lie. One that is verifiable, mind you. Given more time to think, she should have opted for the "I don't date people I work with," which is much more legitimate and a good rule to go by anyway. But that's a different blog.

So that brings me to ask: How do you let someone down ?

You can try to save face for the other person, by making up some lie about yourself (ie, "I have mono.") You could claim that you're just not interested in members of the opposite sex, and same sex relationships are more your thing. Or you could be downright cruel and laugh in their face, saying "Ha! Me? Go out with YOU? Seriously."

I usually go out with anyone who asks at least once. You never know if you'll like someone until you give them a chance. But sometimes, you know you're not into the other person and you never will be, so what to do?

How do you let down someone you're not interested in?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always just tried to be honest, but nice. Thank the person for asking, but just tell him you aren't interested. Most people will stop right there and back off. If he asks why, just tell him the truth. He knows he is older, so if she says she doesn't date older men, he should be able to accept that.

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm almost always honest, and, when I was single, said I am not interested. Now, obviously, I thank them nicely, but explain I have a boyfriend.

However, in my single days, I have given phony phone numbers, taken theirs and said I would call (but didn't) or just walk away while in mid-sentence. Maybe not the best way to handle it, but it is definitely effective while out at night! : )

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rejection Hotline: 770-908-7383

That's only for the fast thinking, though.

The problem with rejection is covering your ass. Who knows when it will come back to you.

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becki, you read my mind. Before I got to your post, I was thinking "I totally should have given out the Rejection Hotline."
...Hello! You've reached the Atlanta Reeejection Hotline!... Hilarious.

12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From a guy's point of view, I'd much rather a girl come up with a reason, even if it's a lie, than to just say "I'm not interested." That could crush a guy!

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home