WE'RE MOVING! Beginning Monday, April 30, we're moving to maconloveblog.blogspot.com. Everything will be the same, just at a new address. We'll have a link on the new site back to this one in case you ever want to read our previous posts.

Monday, October 30, 2006

Is an ex off limits for friends?

This weekend I had a discussion with my boyfriend about my last blog post regarding man laws. He informed me that the idea comes from a set of Miller Lite commercials where a group of guys are sitting around a table discussing whether certain actions are appropriate under "man law." For example, do you toast beer at the bottom or the top of the bottle? Can you take beer that you brought to a party home with you when you leave?

One commercial discusses when a guy can go after a friend's ex. One guy says at least a month, another says at least two Saturdays (or a new haircut, whichever comes first). They come to the conclusion that it is OK to date a friend's ex after six months as long as she's really hot.

If you talk to girls, they'll tell you that it's never OK to date a friend's ex. However, many do it anyway. I concede, there are times when it would be OK, like if it wasn't serious or if you only went on one date. And even that would only be acceptable if the friend broke up with the guy. She has to be truly over him (or not even have liked him in the first place) for it to be OK for a girl to go after a friend's ex. And the friend should ask the other friend first.

Then, there are some sticky situations, like when a friend doesn't actually go out with a guy, but she has made it known that she likes him. Can she basically call dibs on the guy while the friends just sit on the sidelines and watch, no matter what happens?

Men and women: Is it ever acceptable to date someone a friend has dated? If so, how long do you wait? What about if the friend calls dibs on a guy or girl? Is that person still fair game?

Correction: In Thursday's blog I wrote that I was at eye-level with my boyfriend when I wear heels. He would like to make it known that he is 5'10" and, since I am 5'4", he is still two inches taller than me when I'm in heels.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

IS it OK to take the beer home?

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only one, and if you can fit it in your pocket. Apparently, once it touches the cooler, it is the property of the cooler's owner.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take my beer home. My friends don't want my beer...

And, from the female side? I'd (almost) never date a friend's ex. The way I figure it, they aren't together for a reason, and if she already tested those waters, why should I bother? The (almost) is because there could be that random off chance that maybe she says "well, me and so-and-so didn't work out, but I really think he'd be good for you." Unless she's known for setting me up for failure, I trust my friend's advice in men.

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friends and I always had the rule that we never dated a friend's ex-boyfriend. We also allowed calling dibs, and only if the person calling dibs approved could anyone else take a shot at a guy. Of course, I have known quite a few girls that went after any guy they could get, even if the guy was a friend's ex, so not every girl follows the same rules.

2:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it should be completely off-limits. Because although many girls like to say they don't care, or it's not a big deal, every girl knows that it isn't that simple. And while on the outside, we act okay that our friend is with an ex, the truth is, it causes resentment and can ruin a friendship.

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becki, as rule 109, section 3 states, if the beer is no longer a float either due to melting of ice, joseling of the cooler, careless beer toss then the beer lacks the 2/5th rule and is down by contact. Retrieving the beer at that point is a full fledge infraction on man law. Respect.

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ladies lets look at the big picture if
he wasn't the one (look at his friends) chances are they aren't worth
going after and I would rather have my real friends than another loser.

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home