WE'RE MOVING! Beginning Monday, April 30, we're moving to maconloveblog.blogspot.com. Everything will be the same, just at a new address. We'll have a link on the new site back to this one in case you ever want to read our previous posts.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Pet names..sweet or sickening?

I never really noticed an interesting fact about my sister and her husband until I spent a week with the two of them together.

And, during the course of that week, it dawned on me that I don't believe they know each other's real names. Because all I heard was, "Baby, can you get me some water?" or "Baby, where is the remote?"...that's all it was...Baby, Baby, Baby. And it was accompanied by a voice, that certainly for my brother-in-law, just shouldn't be used.

Now, I know people call each other "Honey" or "Babe" or "Baby." It's quite normal in many relationships to have a "pet name" for your significant other. Personally, I'm not really the "baby" type, but I'm not all against it either. I may not go to the sugary sweet side, but I'll occasionally use a nickname or two for my BF and vice versa. Both of us would probably think the other had gone mad if we ever tried to venture into the "Sweetie" zone, because it's just not us.

But while I think little pet names can be cute, I also believe there is a line that gets crossed when it stops being cute and becomes downright annoying. Especially if you are hanging out with the couple who can't string together two words without throwing a "Handsome" or "Beautiful" in between. I once had a friend who made it impossible to be around when she was talking to her boyfriend. She used a weird voice and said "Oh Babe" every other word.

It was excrutiating.

But then again, I'm not a pet name all the time type of person. Maybe the majority thought is that pet names are cute and shouldn't be used sparingly, in fact, they can't be used enough. Do you believe pet names can cross the line? Or are they the best thing ever and everyone should have one?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pet names can definitely be used too much! I don't mind being called babe, which is what my bf usually calls me, but I do like hearing my name on occasion. Also, it can get a little embarrassing watching couples that are super lovey-dovey, and I don't ever want to be THAT couple!

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home