WE'RE MOVING! Beginning Monday, April 30, we're moving to maconloveblog.blogspot.com. Everything will be the same, just at a new address. We'll have a link on the new site back to this one in case you ever want to read our previous posts.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Rush, rush




True story. One of my best guys friend's from college called me one night and asked me to meet him and his new girlfriend at the bar. She was wonderful, he said, and he was completely head over heels about her.

To my surprise, I apparently didn't quite understand the depths of his emotions when I showed up and watched to two of them together. They were constantly giggling and smiling at each other, holding hands all night and whispering "I love you's" all evening.

Their relationship was five days old at that point. FIVE DAYS.

While I asked him to please be careful and maybe slow down just a little, it turns out he knew what he was doing. They were engaged a year later and married not long after that. And they are truly wonderful together.

But it always amazes me when I hear stories like that. People who are together for less than three months and already planning a wedding, or others who move in together after four months and then get married not long after that.

I always thought I was the type that would love a relationship like that — one so filled with immediate passion and understanding that while logic would be saying slow down, I'd jump right in.

And yet, whenever I hear a story like any of the above, I get completely freaked out. In fact, I like taking my time in a relationship because from what I have found through my own experiences is that it takes awhile to truly know someone. To find out their quirks and see if you love them anyway, to go through those rough times that seem so rocky it would be easiest to end the relationship than work through it. It's important, I think, to experience the ups and downs before taking a leap so great as marriage.

This also may be attributed to my indifference to marriage. While one day I would like to be married, I am in no way in a rush to get there — a thought that completely eases my like-minded boyfriend.

But it's funny the stories that work out. Those people who have been together for a month and planning a wedding or people who waited five years before deciding forever was a commitment they wanted to make to each other.

What do you think of these stories, or do you have one of your own? And what type of person are you? Would you leap without knowing the information, or would you study every aspect before making the jump?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would totally study every aspect. I can't even decide what shirt I'm going to wear in the morning without weighing the pros and cons. Taking a leap like that without dating someone for a long time first seems unimaginable!

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I think I know who this story is about!

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha...Blongly...you would be right! : )

6:52 PM  
Blogger Say What? Why Nothing Surprises Me Anymore said...

Hey girl, thanks for sharing our story (for those of you who don't know, I'm the girl now married to blongly). That was sweet of you. To your fellow bloggers out there, if you can make it work, then it doesn't really matter how long it takes. While my husband and I were engaged for almost 18 months, we lived 5 hours apart in separate states before walking down the aisle. Before we even started dating though, we would talk for hours on the phone and email every day before our first kiss. I knew that I was falling in love with him then and it paid off. And I never thought I would be that girl. So if it works for you, then more power to you. Later gator!

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey JKLongly! Thanks for sharing your story — it truly shows the cases where you "just know" from the start. And it's refreshing that it is possible, and people do make it work! : )

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home