WE'RE MOVING! Beginning Monday, April 30, we're moving to maconloveblog.blogspot.com. Everything will be the same, just at a new address. We'll have a link on the new site back to this one in case you ever want to read our previous posts.

Friday, April 20, 2007

Most romantic cities?

I was perusing the internet this afternoon, looking around for lists (because this blog loves lists!!) about the most romantic cities in America, and I was very disappointed in what I found. Almost every single site listed the same cities over and over again, mainly San Francisco and New York. I mean, hello, obvious?

I want to know those little, small towns that define the word cozy...not the crazy streets of New York City (which I'm sure is wonderful, but if I want a weekend away with the BF, I want it away from the hustle and bustle and $15 Burgers!!). I can't say anything bad about San Fran, because that truly is a wonderful city, and I can see the romantic side of it.

Other big cities I love and places I wouldn't mind sharing a little getaway? Boston, for one. It definitely does not have that large city feel, and instead is swept up in history. I also love Chicago, and the plus is that there are little towns along Lake Michigan and are just a train ride away. Orlando, if only for Disney World. Cliche, I know, but I have been there twice this year and I can see how it would be a great place for couples!

But I would think small, quaint places would be best for a weekend getaway. In Georgia, that obvious spot is Savannah — which is truly fantastic, but the mountaIns of North Georgia definitely can't be overlooked! South Carolina has Charleston (a place both my BF and I are jonesing to see) and Beaufort (we discovered this gem while taking a ride on his motorcycle one sunny afternoon).

I can't wait to go to Wilmington and the Outer Banks of North Carolina (and am working on convincing the BF that we must take a weekend trip there this summer!) But I really like Chapel Hill, and nothing beats the mountains in North Carolina — so pretty, and plenty of cabin space!

Of course these are just places in the immediate area, and I know many places up North that would serve as a perfect getaway. Are there any great places you would suggest visiting with your significant other? And what spots should be avoided at all costs??

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

St. Simons Island is Georgia's Jewel! The massive oaks with their hanging moss, the history, the beach walks, cozy beach cottages. Sigh........take me away..

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helen, GA, is always nice in the fall when the leaves are changing.

Hilton Head Island, SC, is always fun. Plenty to do (golf,bike, fish), great places to eat, and of course the beach.

Any state park, is fun and great for the budget.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although this is not an American city...Paris, France in the springtime~~ I visit every year for two weeks and nothing comes close to this romantic city ! A close second is the French Quarters in New Orleans : ))

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree Edge! My BF lives super close to Hilton Head and we love going there — especially on day trips to the beach! So nice!!

Anon — You want to take me the next time you go to Paris?? : ) I'm sure it is gorgeous over there, although I've never been! Sigh....

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.washingtonplantation.com/

for something simple. its pretty close and has been named top 10 romantic inns.

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Follow up on your Charleston idea ASAP. Great city, delicious food, tons of history, on the beach, and absolutely loaded with neat little bed & breakfast places.

6:37 PM  
Blogger BeckiLG said...

Just had to point out, Roxy & Rose beat The Bachelor to the punch! They chatted about romatic cities tonight on the show.

12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha...I wonder if the Bachelor reads MaconLove?? : ) Awesome!

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home