WE'RE MOVING! Beginning Monday, April 30, we're moving to maconloveblog.blogspot.com. Everything will be the same, just at a new address. We'll have a link on the new site back to this one in case you ever want to read our previous posts.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Coping with a husband at war

I have no first-hand experience with a loved-one going overseas with the military, but I'm sure it can be more than heart-wrenching for those who stay at home.

Last week I was reading the blog of a young newlywed whose husband was over in Iraq, and his tour of duty was recently extended three more months. The newlywed lamented that she goes to bed every night with her phone next to her in case her husband calls. Her husband missed their anniversary, and he'll likely miss another one. It can be lonely being a military wife, she wrote.

This newlywed is just one example of many women who have husbands in the military. I'm sure nothing can take the place of these husbands, but maybe there are some things the wives can do or some people they can hold on to during this tough time.

If you're in this situation, what are some tips you can share with others about how to get through it? How do you keep yourself sane when the one person you care about the most is put in harm's way every day, thousands of miles away from you?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in this situation at the moment with my husband currently serving in Afghanistan. We have two small children and all I can say is that it is the worst feeling in the world. Fortunately he will be home sometime in April but at the moment time appears to be standing still, and yes, I also take the phone to bed with me in the hope that I may hear his voice for just two precious minutes.

My only advice to others in this sitiuation is just try to keep going, keep up regular activities and work and try in some way to be normal.

I have to admit that 6 months into this deployment my positive attitude has started to take a battering and I am so sick of being lonely and the third wheel with friends who are couples. I am sick and tired of waiting, but there seems nothing else to do, and I am really sick of my children not having a dad. In the end you begin to wonder how you ever ended up here, alone and sad, and when you look at your children crying for their father, you have to wonder if the whole thing is even worth it.

Sorry I can't give too much positive advice at the moment, but I wish you all in this situation well.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home