WE'RE MOVING! Beginning Monday, April 30, we're moving to maconloveblog.blogspot.com. Everything will be the same, just at a new address. We'll have a link on the new site back to this one in case you ever want to read our previous posts.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Taking sides

Inevitably, there comes a point in every relationship when you have to choose a side: left or right.

I'm not talking about ends of the political spectrum. I'm talking about sides of the bed. Who sleeps where is a very important question. It's like eating at the dinner table. You don't have an assigned seat, but you always sit in the same place. It's your spot, and if someone sits in your chair, you get a little upset and wonder why they just don't move.

The left side of the bed (if you're in it) is my side. I don't know what makes it so good. Perhaps it's the proximity to the door. Or maybe it's because it's near the fan (which I can't sleep without). But whatever it is, I just know that if I'm not on the left, I'm not sleeping, and if someone takes my spot, well, they're gonna have to move.

I know several women who have woken up their boyfriends for falling asleep on "their" side of the bed. Fights have been caused over this. However, I have never heard of a guy claiming "his" side of the bed. Perhaps they just don't care?

Do you care what side of the bed you sleep on at night? What do you do if someone tries to take your side of the bed? And what about those people that sleep in the middle: can you even share at all?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's only the left if you're sleeping on your back. It's the right if you're a stomach sleeper. Just another point to how subjective "sides" can be. I suppose that's where the fighting can get confusing. No, I sleep on the right.... no, you're on the left, I'm on the right. Who's on first?

In my case, my side is wherever I fall. That might be diagonally, in the center, or completely perpendicular if it's a cool night and I want my head by the window to hear the crickets. I suppose this just confirms I'm better off single for now and will need to invest in a very large bed one day.

1:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I (a female) actually don't really care what side of the bed I sleep on (although I usually do prefer to sleep on my right side or my stomach). I can pretty much sleep anywhere - in the car, on the floor, on a couch, in class, etc.
But my husband is very particular about that; however, he once changed his mind about his favorite side, so I gladly switched. Now he's back to the left side.

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too sleep on the 'left' side of the bed. One night my husband went to bed early (after a really long day) and fell asleep in the middle of the bed...well more to the left than right. Seeing more room on the right I sliped into bed to go to sleep. Well my husband woke up very confused and punched me in my arm (of course not realizing it was me). Needless to say, I made sure he was on 'his side' from then on.

2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My BF and I had a transition to make when he moved two months ago. For the longest time, he would be on the right, and I would be on the left. In fact, it was so embedded in my head that even when he would be deployed overseas, I stayed on my side.

Then, he moved, and the dynamics of his bedroom changed. My first visit there started a five-minute conversation about the arrangements — he moved into my spot. Until, two week later, he didn't like that side anymore and went back to our original arrangement! : )

Of course, it only applies when he's there, bc if I am by myself, I am all of the bed — and that includes diagonal.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home